The latitude of Memphis, TN, USA is 35.117500, and the longitude is -89.971107. Memphis, TN, USA is located at United States country in the Cities place category with the gps coordinates of 35° 7′ 3.0000” N and 89° 58′ 15.9852” W.
- Latitude and longitude coordinates are: 35.117500, -89.971107. Memphis is the seat of Shelby county, one of the largest and the most populous cities in the state of Tennessee, USA. It is located in the southwesternmost corner of the state.
- 1 How do I find the exact latitude and longitude of a location?
- 2 How do I show latitude and longitude on Google Maps?
- 3 What is Memphis named after and why?
- 4 How do you find latitude and longitude on a paper map?
- 5 How do you determine latitude?
- 6 What places have the same longitude?
- 7 What is the closest longitude to North America?
- 8 What is the relative location of Memphis?
- 9 How do I find latitude and longitude on my phone?
- 10 How do I get latitude and longitude on my iPhone?
- 11 What is longitude and latitude example?
- 12 Is Memphis a dying city?
- 13 What is a person from Memphis called?
- 14 Why is Memphis called Grind city?
How do I find the exact latitude and longitude of a location?
Get the coordinates of a place
- On your computer, open Google Maps.
- Right-click the place or area on the map.
- To copy the coordinates automatically, select the latitude and longitude.
How do I show latitude and longitude on Google Maps?
Touch and hold an area of the map that isn’t labeled to drop a red pin. In the search box, you can find the coordinates.
What is Memphis named after and why?
The modern city was founded in 1819 and named Memphis. The name was chosen because of the ancient city of Memphis in Egypt. Memphis, Egypt was founded thousands of years before the United States even existed. But, like Memphis, Tennessee, it was also located on a great river: the Nile.
How do you find latitude and longitude on a paper map?
Latitude is indicated on a map by a series of evenly-spaced horizontal lines running from one side of the map to the other, while longitude is indicated by a series of evenly-spaced vertical lines running from top to bottom. Look for numbers along the edges of the map giving coordinates for each line.
How do you determine latitude?
Use the sight line on the top of the aiming beam to align the beam with the North Star. Use the protractor to measure the angle between the beam and the horizon (which is 90º to the plumb line). This angle is your latitude.
What places have the same longitude?
Yet, while no one city in the world can have the same latitude and longitude, many cities share one or the other, even if they’re on the opposite ends of a country. Take Charleston, South Carolina and Carlsbad, California. Both of these U.S. cities are near 33° latitude, which you can see on the map below.
What is the closest longitude to North America?
The North America continent lies between latitude 48.1667° N and longitude 100.1667° W.
What is the relative location of Memphis?
The City of Memphis is located on the eastern bank of the Mississippi River in the southwest corner of the U.S. state of Tennessee. It is the regional hub for a tri-state area of Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee.
How do I find latitude and longitude on my phone?
Android: Open Google Maps; it will zoom to your approximate location. Press and hold on the screen to drop a pin marker. Click on the dropped pin; latitude and longitude will be displayed below the map.
How do I get latitude and longitude on my iPhone?
Get GPS Coordinates in Maps on iPhone and iPad
- Tap the current location button on the top right.
- When the blue circle for your spot appears on the map, tap it.
- Swipe up from the bottom to view full details for your location and you’ll see the Latitude and Longitude.
What is longitude and latitude example?
Latitude and longitude are a pair of numbers (coordinates) used to describe a position on the plane of a geographic coordinate system. The numbers are in decimal degrees format and range from -90 to 90 for latitude and -180 to 180 for longitude. For example, Washington DC has a latitude 38.8951 and longitude -77.0364.
Is Memphis a dying city?
Memphis is the other Southern city that’s losing population. The metropolitan area declined 0.3 percent to 1.3 million residents. The state’s changing dynamics mean Nashville now ranks as the Tennessee’s biggest city. Memphis’ population loss is a “cause for concern,” according to the Memphis Daily News.
What is a person from Memphis called?
[ mem-fee-uhn ] SHOW IPA. / ˈmɛm fi ən / PHONETIC RESPELLING. noun. a native or inhabitant of the ancient Egyptian city of Memphis.
Why is Memphis called Grind city?
A more recent nickname Memphis has adopted is Grind City, which is mostly attributed to the city’s NBA team, the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies’ motto is “Grit and Grind,” hence the nickname Grind City.