- Gatlinburg, Sevier County, Tennessee, United States (35.71426-83.51016) Coordinates: 35.69727 -83.56803 35.75723 -83.42797 – Minimum elevation: 994 ft – Maximum elevation: 6,595 ft – Average elevation: 2,119 ft
- 1 What is the elevation of downtown Gatlinburg TN?
- 2 What is the highest elevation in Tennessee?
- 3 Is Gatlinburg high in the mountains?
- 4 What is the highest elevation in Pigeon Forge Tennessee?
- 5 Is it better to go to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg?
- 6 How long does it take to get to Clingmans Dome from Gatlinburg?
- 7 Does it snow in Gatlinburg?
- 8 Can you get altitude sickness in the Smoky Mountains?
- 9 Does it cost to visit Clingmans Dome?
- 10 Is the drive to Clingmans Dome scary?
- 11 What is the altitude of the Smoky Mountains?
What is the elevation of downtown Gatlinburg TN?
The downtown area is at an elevation of about 1,300 feet, while the highest point in the national park, Mount LeConte, is 6,593 feet tall.
What is the highest elevation in Tennessee?
At 6,643 feet, Clingmans Dome is the highest point in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is the highest point in Tennessee, and the third highest mountain east of the Mississippi.
Is Gatlinburg high in the mountains?
It is also the highest peak that is completely within Tennessee. However, from its immediate base to its summit, Mount Le Conte is one of the highest peaks in the Appalachian Mountains rising 5,301 ft from its base, near Gatlinburg, Tennessee (1,292 ft/394 m).
What is the highest elevation in Pigeon Forge Tennessee?
Gatlinburg tends to offer more higher end restaurants. If you’re planning a great date night dinner or just want to grab a bite at one of the best steakhouses, Gatlinburg makes a better option for high-end food. Pigeon Forge offers great dining options as well.
Is it better to go to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg?
The Perks of Gatlinburg Closer To the National Park – Gatlinburg is located just outside of the park boundary, while Pigeon Forge is a few miles drive away from park entrances. If you want to spend as much time in the Smokies as possible, this gateway to the national park might be your best place to stay.
How long does it take to get to Clingmans Dome from Gatlinburg?
From downtown Gatlinburg, the scenic 23-mile drive to Clingmans Dome will take approximately one hour.
Does it snow in Gatlinburg?
For instance, Gatlinburg, Tennessee sits at 1,280 feet in elevation and receives an average of nine inches of snow a year. Nearby Newfound Gap in the national park sits at 5,049 feet in elevation and garners a whopping 69 inches of snowfall per year.
Can you get altitude sickness in the Smoky Mountains?
For example, you may get a headache when you drive over a high mountain pass, hike to a high altitude, or arrive at a mountain resort. Mild altitude sickness is common. Experts do not know who will get it and who will not.
Does it cost to visit Clingmans Dome?
One of the best things about trekking to Clingmans Dome is that it’s free! There is no entrance fee to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Is the drive to Clingmans Dome scary?
The drive to Clingmans Dome takes about 90 minutes. You will wind on many two lane roads, traversing blind curves along the way. There are no guardrails, so it can be a bit scary driving so close to the edge. It took another 30-40 min to hike the paved walkway to the lookout tower.
What is the altitude of the Smoky Mountains?
ELEVATIONS IN THE PARK The crest of the Great Smokies runs in an unbroken chain of peaks that rise more than 5,000 feet for over 36 miles. Elevations in the park range from 876 to 6,643 feet.