Why visit Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains?
- There’s no better place to experience Appalachian culture and history than Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains. It all begins with a strong-willed lady named Martha. Martha Jane Huskey Ogle, her children and several other family members arrived in a remote locale of the Great Smoky Mountains in East Tennessee called White Oak Flats in 1807.
- 1 Why is Gatlinburg so popular?
- 2 What is so great about Gatlinburg?
- 3 What is Gatlinburg famous food?
- 4 What is the history of Gatlinburg TN?
- 5 Is Gatlinburg TN worth visiting?
- 6 Why you should visit Gatlinburg?
- 7 Is Gatlinburg a tourist trap?
- 8 Is Gatlinburg safe?
- 9 Is Gatlinburg a good family vacation?
- 10 Where do locals go in Gatlinburg?
- 11 Why is Gatlinburg known for pancakes?
- 12 Where do locals eat at Gatlinburg?
- 13 How popular is Gatlinburg?
- 14 What made Pigeon Forge famous?
- 15 Was Gatlinburg in the Civil War?
Why is Gatlinburg so popular?
It also came in fourth place on TripAdvisor’s list of global up-and-coming destinations. Set in the picturesque entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg is home to a plethora of outdoor activities, a growing food scene, and eclectic attractions that make it a popular destination for travelers.
What is so great about Gatlinburg?
Gatlinburg is known as the “Gateway to the Smokies ” due to its location on the edge of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Encompassing 520,000 acres of land, the Smokies are a picturesque forested mountain range, offering extensive hiking and vistas for viewing the misty blue landscape.
What is Gatlinburg famous food?
Must-try famous Foods and Eateries in Gatlinburg
- Ogle Dog at Fannie Farkles.
- Donuts at the Donut Friar.
- Deviled Eggs at Parton’s Deli.
- Garlic Knots at Best Italian.
- Pancakes at the Pancake Pantry.
- Salad Bar at the Peddler Steakhouse.
- Taffy Logs at Ole Smoky Candy Kitchen.
What is the history of Gatlinburg TN?
The Smoky Mountain history of Gatlinburg begins in 1854 when a man named Radford Gatlin moved to the area and opened the second general store in White Oaks Flats. A couple of years later, he opened a post office inside his store, which resulted in changing the name of the town to Gatlinburg.
Is Gatlinburg TN worth visiting?
It is definitely worth going to visit if you are into hiking, etc even if you don’t want a touristy area. It is possible to rent a cabin and avoid Gatlinburg altogether but plan on finding bypass roads to take and cook at your cabin. That said, Gatlinburg is a very touristy spot crammed within a couple of miles.
Why you should visit Gatlinburg?
5 Reasons to Visit Gatlinburg, Tennessee, Aside from the Smoky Mountains
- Breweries, Wineries, and Distilleries in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
- Live Entertainment.
- Family Attractions in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
- Arts & Crafts.
- Versatile Dining Options.
- Incredible Views of Smoky Mountains Tennessee.
Is Gatlinburg a tourist trap?
Tourist Traps Abound in Downtown Gatlinburg Most of the shopping and activities downtown are overpriced. Visitors can get so caught up in the rides, games, and shops that they miss enjoying the mountains.
Is Gatlinburg safe?
As a whole, the city is less safe than many other similarly-sized cities, with a violent crime rate just below average and a property crime rate nearly over twice the national median. Violent crime in Gatlinburg is not a huge problem, with an average of 3.8 violent crimes committed per 1,000 residents, per year.
Is Gatlinburg a good family vacation?
Is Gatlinburg a good family vacation spot? Absolutely. In fact, it’s hard to imagine another destination that offers so many great family-friendly activities! To help you plan your Gatlinburg family vacation, we’ve made a short list of the top 7 ideas to take your Smoky Mountain family getaway to the next level!
Where do locals go in Gatlinburg?
7. Local Gatlinburg Shopping
- Smoky Mountain Farms Jelly House.
- Aunt Debbie’s Country Store.
- Nantahala Outdoor Center.
- The Jewelry Spot.
- Flat Creek Village.
Why is Gatlinburg known for pancakes?
Speaking with Smoky Mountain Living Magazine, Amy Morton said: “We feel that the popularity of pancake houses in this area stems from the simple fact that Southerners have a tradition of enjoying a delicious hearty breakfast.”
Where do locals eat at Gatlinburg?
7 Local Restaurants in Gatlinburg
- Best Italian Cafe and Pizzaria. This casual Italian cafe in the heart of Gatlinburg has earned quite the following over the years.
- The Pancake Pantry.
- The Peddler Steakhouse.
- The Donut Friar.
- Smoky Mountain Brewery.
- The Three Jimmy’s.
- The Mountain Lodge.
How popular is Gatlinburg?
TripAdvisor announced Gatlinburg is the number one trending travel destination in the United States on its U.S. Trending Destinations list. According to the list, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park makes Gatlinburg“an ideal base for a family looking to explore the park’s numerous offerings.”
What made Pigeon Forge famous?
Pigeon Forge is famous for being a playground that’s perfect for families, couples, and groups visiting the Great Smoky Mountains.
Was Gatlinburg in the Civil War?
During the Civil War, Gatlinburg was occupied by Confederate forces under Major William H. Thomas. He organized a regiment of guerrillas, Indians, and whites totaling about two hundred men called the Thomas Legion.