Our Favorite Tennessee Native Plants
- BEE BALM. Plant this beautifully colorful flower to invite wildlife like butterflies, honeybees and hummingbirds to your garden.
- LEMON MINT.
- NORTHERN SEA OATS.
- SWEET WHITE TRILLIUM.
- VIRGINIA BLUEBELL.
- WILD COLUMBINE.
What are some native plants in Tennessee?
- The official state butterfly, the colorful zebra swallowtail, is attracted to several of Tennessee’s native plants, including the phlox, azalea, thistles, fruit trees, zinnias, ironweed, goldenrod, coneflower, buttonbush, asters, blazing star, red clover, monarda and jewelweed, according to the Tennessee Aquarium.
- 1 What flowering plants grow well in Tennessee?
- 2 What flowers grow well in East Tennessee?
- 3 What flowers grow well in Nashville?
- 4 Which plants gives flower all year round?
- 5 What flowers bloom in April in TN?
- 6 What zone is Tennessee for planting flowers?
- 7 What flowers bloom in May in Tennessee?
- 8 What can you plant in April in Tennessee?
- 9 What plants grow best in our area of East Tennessee?
- 10 What is the Tennessee state flower?
- 11 Do peonies grow in Tennessee?
- 12 What is the longest blooming perennial?
- 13 What flower can survive winter?
- 14 What flowers bloom all year long?
What flowering plants grow well in Tennessee?
Best Perennials for Nashville and Middle Tennessee
- Clump verbena (Verbena canadensis)
- Coneflowers (Rudbeckia spp.)
- Northern Sea Oats (Can also take shade)
- Purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)
- Big Sky hybrid coneflowers (Echinacea)
- Swamp sunflowers (Helianthus simulans)
- Yarrows (Achillea spp.)
What flowers grow well in East Tennessee?
Native Plants for Easy Gardening in Knoxville, TN
- Butterfly Milkweed. This coarse perennial consists of bright green leaves with brilliant large clusters of orange flowers.
- Virginia Bluebells.
- Wild Geranium.
- Bottlebrush Buckeye.
- Red/Black Chokeberry.
What flowers grow well in Nashville?
7 Of The Best Plants For Shaded Areas In Your Nashville Garden
- Astilbe. You can watch as the pink, red, or purple plumes wave to you in the summer breeze from your beautiful garden.
- Bletilla Striata.
- Primroses (Primulas)
Which plants gives flower all year round?
Gorgeous Flowers That Bloom Year Round
- Rose. Botanical Name: Rosa.
- Lantana. Botanical Name: Lantana camara.
- Adenium. Botanical Name: Adenium obesum.
- Bougainvillea. Botanical Name: Bougainvillea glabra.
- Hibiscus. Botanical Name: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis.
- Ixora. Botanical Name: Ixora coccinea.
What flowers bloom in April in TN?
- Magnolia – There are three more common types of magnolia trees that bloom in early spring across middle Tennessee.
- Redbud – Redbud trees can be identified by their small pink flowers that bloom in clusters during early spring.
- Dogwood – Dogwood trees bloom in mid to late spring.
What zone is Tennessee for planting flowers?
Tennessee growing zones range from 5b to 8a. Finding what hardiness zone you are in is simple with Gilmour’s Interactive Planting Zone Map. Growing zones help gardeners all over the country figure out which plants, flowers and vegetables will thrive and which likely cannot survive the winters of their region.
What flowers bloom in May in Tennessee?
The Smoky Mountains are known for wildflowers. Spring flowers bloom late March to Mid May, including Spring Beauty, Trillium, Birdfoot Violets, Jack in the Pulpits, Dutchman Britches, Purple Phacalia and Snowy Orchis.
What can you plant in April in Tennessee?
Late March/Early April
What plants grow best in our area of East Tennessee?
Best Blooming Heat Tolerant Plants For East Tennessee
- Trees & Shrubs. Two of these “Show Stoppers” are woody plants (trees or shrubs) that can be seen blooming all over town.
- Perennials. Perennials that are preforming well in the summer heat are Salvia, Coneflowers, blanket flowers and ice plants to name a few.
What is the Tennessee state flower?
Warmer areas of Tennessee allow for late summer and fall rose planting, since winters there are less harsh. Southern portions of the state lie in Zone 7a, which is considered a warm zone, and suitable for fall planting. Avoid planting China, Noisette and Tea roses after midsummer in this zone.
Do peonies grow in Tennessee?
Peonies may not bloom the first year they are planted, but they should bloom every year after that. It’s spring in Middle Tennessee (Zone 7a on the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone map, where The Garden Bench calls home).
What is the longest blooming perennial?
Top 10 Long Blooming Perennials
- 1.) ‘ Moonbeam’ Tickseed. (Coreopsis verticillata)
- 2.) Rozanne® Cranesbill. (Geranium)
- 3.) Russian Sage. (Perovskia atriplicifolia)
- 4.) ‘ Walker’s Low’ Catmint. (Nepeta x faassenii)
- 5.) Coneflowers.
- 6.) ‘ Goldsturm’ Black-Eyed Susan.
- 7.) ‘ Autumn Joy’ Stonecrop.
- 8.) ‘ Happy Returns’ Daylily.
What flower can survive winter?
Plants that survive winter
- Coneflower (Echinacea)
- Lily of the Valley.
- Blue Spruce.
- Wintergreen Boxwood.
- Coral Bells (Heuchera)
What flowers bloom all year long?
21 Annual Flowers for Year-Round Color
- Petunia. One of the best annual flowers is the petunia.
- Calibrachoa. Calibrachoa looks like a miniature petunia.
- Sweet Alyssum.
- Rudbeckia or Black-Eyed Susan.