Marriage Laws: Both individuals must have either a valid driver’s license, passport or birth certificate. If your Social Security number is not printed on your driver’s license you will need to bring a Social Security card with you. If you are not a United States citizen, you must present a valid passport.
How do I get married in the state of Tennessee?
- Obtain your Tennessee marriage license from a County Clerk. You must purchase your license at a County Clerk before you can get married in Tennessee. Make sure to have all of the proper documentation and fees prepare before you arrive at the County Clerk to avoid delays. Both parties must appear to apply for a marriage license.
- 1 What documents do I need to get married in Tennessee?
- 2 How do you get married at the courthouse in Tennessee?
- 3 Do you have to have a witness to get married in Tennessee?
- 4 How much does it cost to get married at the courthouse in Tennessee?
- 5 Can you apply for a marriage license online in Tennessee?
- 6 How long does it take to get marriage license in Tennessee?
- 7 Can a notary marry someone in TN?
- 8 What do you need to do to get married?
- 9 Can I get a marriage license online?
- 10 Who can legally marry you in Tennessee?
- 11 Can you get married without a marriage license?
- 12 What is a quick wedding called?
- 13 What is the process for getting married at a courthouse?
- 14 What is a courthouse wedding like?
- 15 Can you get a marriage license on Saturday in Tennessee?
What documents do I need to get married in Tennessee?
If you want to get married in Tennessee, you and your future spouse must get a marriage license from the local county clerk’s office. Bring your ID or birth certificate to prove your date of birth and proof of your social security number (if you have one).
How do you get married at the courthouse in Tennessee?
REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A MARRIAGE LICENSE
- Both parties must appear together at the 700 2nd Ave South, Suite 101, Nashville, TN 37210 (8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., M-F) and must have proof that they are 18 or older.
- The fee for a marriage license is $99.50.
Do you have to have a witness to get married in Tennessee?
Do you have to have witnesses to get married in Tennessee? No witnesses are required, but if you’d like one witness to sign the marriage license, then there may be an extra fee per copy of your certificate.
How much does it cost to get married at the courthouse in Tennessee?
Before a marriage can occur in Tennessee, you must obtain a marriage license from the County Clerk. The fee is $97.50. However, the county courthouse will reduce your fee to $37.50 if the couple completes a Premarital Preparation Course.
Can you apply for a marriage license online in Tennessee?
It is very easy to get a marriage license in Tennessee. You can pre-apply online up to 30 days before your wedding. After applying for the license, couples can pick it up at one of the Marriage License Centers in Sevier County.
How long does it take to get marriage license in Tennessee?
There is no waiting period, the marriage license is valid for thirty (30) days from issuance, and is good for ceremonies performed anywhere in Tennessee. The fee is $97.50.
Can a notary marry someone in TN?
Tennessee becomes the fifth state to authorize Notaries Public to perform marriages. There are no additional provisions to regulate how Notaries perform marriages, but they must follow the rules required of all officiants.
What do you need to do to get married?
- Driver’s licenses or passports (government-issued photo ID)
- Birth certificates.
- Social Security number.
- Divorce decree if you were previously married and are divorced.
- Death decree if you were previously married and are widowed.
- Parental consent if you are underage.
Can I get a marriage license online?
You can begin the application process to receive a Marriage License online via “City Clerk Online”. This will speed up the process which then must be completed in person at the Office of the City Clerk. You must wait a full 24 hours before your Marriage Ceremony can be performed unless you obtain a Judicial Waiver.
Who can legally marry you in Tennessee?
Who can solemnize a marriage?
- All regular ministers, preachers, pastors, priests, rabbis and other religious leaders of every religious belief, more than eighteen (18) years of age, having the care of souls.
- Current and former members of county legislative bodies.
Can you get married without a marriage license?
Whether you get legally married before, after, or never, a commitment ceremony is a perfectly legitimate and personal way to become married in the eyes of yourselves and those who know you. Commitment ceremonies mark the tradition from “dating” to “married.” Basically, it’s getting married without a marriage license.
What is a quick wedding called?
Elopement refers to a marriage conducted in sudden and secretive fashion, usually involving a hurried flight away from one’s place of residence together with one’s beloved with the intention of getting married without parental approval.
What is the process for getting married at a courthouse?
Courthouse wedding checklist
- Do your research.
- Gather the required documents.
- Apply for a marriage license.
- Set a courthouse ceremony date.
- Secure a court-approved officiant.
- Get a witness (if necessary).
- Invite your family and friends.
- Think about post-ceremony celebrations.
What is a courthouse wedding like?
Courthouse weddings tend to have 10 or fewer guests. The cost is cheaper and it takes less time to get through the ceremony. There is less emphasis on the events of the day and more on the couple joining in matrimony. Eloping might seem a little taboo, but it’s actually more common today than you might think.
Can you get a marriage license on Saturday in Tennessee?
If a minor child is interested in applying for a Tennessee marriage license, you will need to contact the Sevier County, Tennessee Marriage License office at 865-453-5502 for specifics. You can obtain a Tennessee Marriage License in Sevier County Monday thru Saturday.