(g) In order to receive a tattoo artist license, the tattooist shall be trained in the profession of tattooing to include sterilization methods in a certified shop for at least one (1) year, under a currently licensed tattoo artist who has been certified and operating in compliance with applicable laws in this state
- The state of Tennessee licenses tattoo artists to ensure the health of the public. To get your license, you just need to walk into the Department of Health and fill out an application. Take a course in tattoo methods and sterilization. Take the exam. After you get a passing score, ask for the Tattoo Apprentice application.
- 1 How much does a tattoo license cost in Tennessee?
- 2 How long does it take to become a licensed tattoo artist?
- 3 How do you become a licensed tattoo artist?
- 4 Can I transfer my tattoo license to Tennessee?
- 5 Can you run a tattoo business from home?
- 6 Is it illegal to give yourself a tattoo?
- 7 Can you become a self taught tattoo artist?
- 8 Do I need a degree to be a tattoo artist?
- 9 What is a tattoo artist’s salary?
- 10 Can you tattoo yourself?
- 11 Is tattooing someone else’s art illegal?
How much does a tattoo license cost in Tennessee?
Go to your local Department of Health, in person, to apply for that tattooing exam. Take the exam. After you get a passing score, ask for the Tattoo Apprentice application. Complete the application and pay the $140 fee.
How long does it take to become a licensed tattoo artist?
Becoming a tattoo artist takes between one and three years of apprenticing under a master tattooist. And that’s time you will need to be working hard and also be working elsewhere to support yourself: Tattoo apprenticeships are earned and are unpaid internships.
How do you become a licensed tattoo artist?
Here’s how to get started.
- Learn How to Draw.
- Get an Art Education.
- Establish Basic Design Skills and Knowledge.
- Build a Portfolio.
- Work with an Established Tattoo Artist.
- Complete an Apprenticeship and Learn the Trade.
- Obtain Additional Pre-License Certification and Training.
- Get Licensed.
Can I transfer my tattoo license to Tennessee?
A statewide tattoo artist license shall be issued and is transferable within this state to any studio holding a current studio certificate issued by a local health department.
Can you run a tattoo business from home?
Each state, and even individual public health departments, maintain their own requirements for tattoo artists. While working from home may not be explicitly prohibited by law, doing so is unlikely to meet health and safety standards.
Is it illegal to give yourself a tattoo?
States regulate tattooing in one of two primary ways. It is illegal for a licensed tattoo artist to perform tattoos in unlicensed locations, such at his or her home. It is also illegal for a licensed tattoo establishment to allow someone who is not licensed to give tattoos at that location.
Can you become a self taught tattoo artist?
You CAN become a Self Taught Tattooist but it’s an EXTREMELY HARD route to go down. Getting an apprenticeship is the best way to learn to Tattoo but it may not be possible for you for many reasons.
Do I need a degree to be a tattoo artist?
Although there is no degree required to become a tattoo artist, it is necessary for an individual to possess natural artistic ability and creativity. Training through an apprenticeship is necessary in most states in order to meet licensure requirements (as per The Alliance of Professional Tattooists).
What is a tattoo artist’s salary?
Can you tattoo yourself?
Yes, tattooing yourself from home is a great way to keep yourself busy while getting some awesome new ink, but it shouldn’t be done as a spur of the moment activity with equipment you find in your sewing kit.
Is tattooing someone else’s art illegal?
The biggest issue you need to contend with in using another artist’s work is copyright law. Artists who create their own work, even if they publish it online, own the rights to those images, so you could be violating copyright law in taking that design to use for your tattoo.