You must visit a Driver Service Center to make changes to your name. You will need your current license and the original or certified document showing the reason for the change; for example: An original or certified marriage certificate, original or certified copy of your divorce decree, or the original court order.
How to officially change your name after marriage?
- Get your marriage certificate The first thing you need to do is get a physical copy of your marriage certificate.
- Get a new Social Security card Now it’s time to change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Get a new driver’s license or state ID card After you receive your updated Social Security card,it’s time to head to the department of motor vehicles (DMV) to
- Update your vehicle title and registration information Updating your vehicle title and registration is another important item that varies drastically by state.
- Update your Passport Your driver’s license or state-issued ID will work for travel inside the US.
- Update your voter registration information Next,you’ll need to update your voter registration information.
- Update your name with the United States Postal Service (USPS) While you don’t necessarily need to tell the USPS about your name change,you will want to update your
- Update your bank accounts and credit union accounts To change the name on your bank account,most banks require you to visit a branch office with an updated photo
- Request new credit cards with your new name For all major credit cards,the best place to start your name change after marriage is by calling the number on
- Update other personal accounts
- 1 How much does it cost to change your name after marriage in Tennessee?
- 2 Do you have to change your name after marriage in Tennessee?
- 3 How do I legally change my name after marriage?
- 4 Is there a time limit to change your name after marriage?
- 5 What do I need to send to Social Security to change my name after marriage?
- 6 How do I legally change my first name in Tennessee?
- 7 What legally changes when you get married?
- 8 Do I change my name with Social Security or DMV first?
- 9 Can I use my married name without legally changing it?
- 10 Do I have to change my name after marriage?
- 11 When you get married does your name automatically change?
- 12 How do I change my wifes surname after marriage?
How much does it cost to change your name after marriage in Tennessee?
Step 4 – File Petition You will be asked to pay a fee for submitting a name change petition and order, typically around $150. The court clerk will assign a court and hearing date.
Do you have to change your name after marriage in Tennessee?
How to Petition for a Change of Name in TN. In many cases, the marriage certificate is all you need to make a name change official, but some situations require a court order to facilitate a name change.
How do I legally change my name after marriage?
How to Change Your Name in 10 Steps
- Get Your Marriage License and Certified Copies.
- Update Your Social Security Card.
- Get a New Driver’s License.
- Get a New Passport and Travel Documents.
- Change the Name on Your Bank Accounts.
- Change the Name on Your Credit Cards.
- Provide Your New Name and Banking Information to Your Employer.
Is there a time limit to change your name after marriage?
You might be wondering, is there a time limit to change your name after marriage? There is no time limit, which is good, because you may end up with a lot of paperwork from your wedding that could take some time.
What do I need to send to Social Security to change my name after marriage?
To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents: Marriage document. Divorce decree. If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:
- Employer identification card.
- School identification card.
- Health insurance card.
- U.S. military identification card.
How do I legally change my first name in Tennessee?
Petitioning the Court to Change Your Name You can obtain a Petition for Change of Name from your county’s Clerk of Court. The petition must be completed in full and returned to the clerk of court with the applicable filing fee. You are required to provide your current name and residency information.
What legally changes when you get married?
One of the most important legal changes that occurs when you get married is the acquisition of “marital property”. Whether it is a house, boat, car, television, or just a coffee mug, any asset that is acquired by either spouse during the marriage may treated as a marital property in a divorce.
Do I change my name with Social Security or DMV first?
Wait at least 48 hours after filing your name change with the Social Security Administration before going to the DMV, this will ensure that your new name is in their system. All name changes must be filed in-person at the DMV.
Can I use my married name without legally changing it?
When you marry, you are free to keep your own name or take your husband’s name without a court-ordered name change. The same is true whether you’re in a same-sex or opposite-sex marriage. In most states, your spouse can adopt your name, instead, if that’s what you both prefer.
Do I have to change my name after marriage?
A marriage certificate is a document that states you and your spouse are married. Does my name legally change after my marriage? No. Your name legally changes when you update your name with the Social Security Administration.
When you get married does your name automatically change?
Since your name does not change automatically when you get married, you have to make sure you follow all the necessary legal steps to changing your name after the wedding.
How do I change my wifes surname after marriage?
1. Notarized Affidavit
- Step 1: File a joint affidavit with a declaration of marriage.
- Step 2: Print the affidavit on an INR 10 stamp paper and have it duly signed by husband and wife.
- Step 3: Attach the marriage certificate and passport-sized photographs of husband and wife to the signed affidavit.