Vehicle Registration Fee: In Tennessee, the renewal fee for Private Passenger vehicles is $29.00. Motorcycles can be renewed for $17.00. The fees for Commercial or Specialty registration renewals vary by county.
- 1 How much does it cost to register a used car in Tennessee?
- 2 What is needed to register a vehicle in TN?
- 3 How much does it cost to transfer tags in TN?
- 4 How much is a title transfer in Tennessee?
- 5 Do you need proof of insurance to register a car in Tennessee?
- 6 Can I register my car online?
- 7 Can you register a car online in Tennessee?
- 8 Do I need a TN license to register my car?
- 9 Can you drive a car without plates if you just bought it in Tennessee?
How much does it cost to register a used car in Tennessee?
The average cost for doc fees is $495. In Knox County, the fee for titling and registering your car is $77 for a standard plate. Specialty and commercial tags will cost you more.
What is needed to register a vehicle in TN?
To obtain a vehicle title, bring:
- proof of identification and proof of residency.
- passed emissions certificate (if applicable);
- most current out-of-state registration; and.
- either the name and address of lienholder to whom you are making payments OR, in the event of no lienholder, your out-of-state title.
Tennessee license plates follow the owner, not the vehicle, and can be transferred to a different vehicle for a $1 fee. Transfers as well as exchanges of specialty and personalized plates for regular passenger plates can be done at your county clerk’s office.
How much is a title transfer in Tennessee?
The state fees related to title transfer fees include an $11 title fee, a $1 title transfer and a fee of $21.50 for a standard license plate, you can also expect to pay both local and state taxes, unless you are transferring a title to a qualified family member.
Do you need proof of insurance to register a car in Tennessee?
You can register a car without insurance in Tennessee. Although you don’t have to provide proof of insurance at the time of registration, you still need it to legally drive.. You have 30 days from the date of purchase to register a vehicle in the state of Tennessee, but you can’t drive the car without insurance.
Can I register my car online?
Many states provide car owners with a convenient way to register their vehicles through their website. Some online services will allow you to complete the entire registration process online, while others will allow you to fill out your paperwork and print it to reduce the processing time at the DMV.
Can you register a car online in Tennessee?
Tennessee Online Registration Renewal Some counties in Tennessee offer online registration renewals. To renew online you will need to visit the DOR website and choose your county from the drop down menu. You will be asked to enter your license plate number and you will then need to pay your registration fees.
Do I need a TN license to register my car?
Two (2) Proofs of Residency are required by the State of Tennessee Dept. of Revenue. You will need your Driver’s License or other acceptable forms of identification.
Can you drive a car without plates if you just bought it in Tennessee?
Yes, but only if you drive the vehicle directly to the first place of storage (usually your home) within three days of the sale. You must have the properly assigned title and proof of insurance with you. Do not use the seller’s license plate on the vehicle while driving it home.