Orders by mail or online take up to 6 weeks to process. If you visit an office in-person, some requests can be completed the same day.
Where can I find Death Records in the state of Tennessee?
- The Tennessee State Library and Archives has state-wide death records for the years 1908-1912 and 1914-1970. Instructions forms for ordering a search of these death records can be found in Ordering Death Records.
- 1 How do you get a copy of a death certificate in Tennessee?
- 2 How long does it take for death certificates to arrive?
- 3 WHO issues death certificates in TN?
- 4 Can anyone get a copy of a death certificate?
- 5 Are death certificates public record in TN?
- 6 Why are death certificates taking so long?
- 7 Do you have to register a death within 5 days?
- 8 Can I view death certificates online for free?
- 9 How much does a death certificate cost?
How do you get a copy of a death certificate in Tennessee?
- The completed and signed application for Certified Copy of Certificate of Birth, Death, Marriage or Divorce.
- One of the following for identification purposes:
- a photocopy of a government-issued identification card which includes the signature of the requester.
- a notarized application for certified copy.
How long does it take for death certificates to arrive?
Depending on the state where the death occurred, certificates can take between 2-4 weeks before arriving to the family. It is generally what people need the soonest, but it can often take the longest.
WHO issues death certificates in TN?
The Tennessee Office of Vital Records reviews, registers, amends, issues and maintains the original certificates of births, deaths, marriages and divorces that occur in Tennessee in accordance with Tennessee Code Annotated.
Can anyone get a copy of a death certificate?
Not everyone can obtain a copy of the death certificate. Usually only certain people can request this record with few questions asked: The executor or administrator of the estate. Immediate family (a spouse, parent, child, or sibling)
Are death certificates public record in TN?
The records at the Tennessee State Library and Archives are open to the public.
Why are death certificates taking so long?
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, we have closed our Registry offices and there will be a delay in our regular processing times.
Do you have to register a death within 5 days?
You should register the death within five days. The death should be registered in the borough where the person died. If you wish to remove a body from the country or the death has been reported to the coroner other procedures may apply. You will be informed of these when you contact the register office.
Can I view death certificates online for free?
You can search most state archives online and easily access them from the comfort of your own home. These searches are also free. State archives often have death certificates that date to the founding of their state and beyond in some cases.
How much does a death certificate cost?
The cost of a death certificate varies greatly by county and state. They could cost anywhere from $6 to $25 a piece depending on where you are in the country. Check your local city or county and state as to what the cost would be for each death certificate.