Surrounded by gentle, rolling farmland, Cherokee Lake covers 30,300 acres at full pool, is 59 miles long, and has 463 miles of winding shoreline. Pictorial farmlands near the lake enhance this peaceful landscape. Towering above the lake to the northwest are the impressive Clinch Mountain Range.
How big is Cherokee Lake TN?
- Cherokee Lake, also known as Cherokee Reservoir, is a reservoir in Tennessee formed by the impoundment of the Holston River behind Cherokee Dam. The reservoir has a surface area of about 28,780 acres (11,650 ha), a flood-storage capacity of 749,406 acre feet (924,379,000 m3), and nearly 400 miles (640 km) of shoreline.
- 1 Can you swim in Cherokee Lake TN?
- 2 Can you boat on Cherokee Reservoir?
- 3 Does Cherokee Lake get drained?
- 4 What kind of fish are in Cherokee Lake?
- 5 What is the cleanest lake in Tennessee?
- 6 What is the best boating lake in Tennessee?
- 7 Does Cherokee lake have a beach?
- 8 What is the best lake in Tennessee to live on?
- 9 What is the deepest part of Cherokee Lake?
- 10 What is the water temperature at Cherokee Lake?
- 11 How many miles is Cherokee Lake?
- 12 Why do they drain lakes in Tennessee?
Can you swim in Cherokee Lake TN?
Cherokee Lake offers plenty of recreational activities, including watersports, boating, fishing, swimming and more.
Can you boat on Cherokee Reservoir?
If you love to fish, Cherokee Lake is a must. Fish densities in Cherokee Lake are greater than most of the other TVA Reservoirs. A variety of fish attractors have been constructed over the years in an attempt to improve fishing for anglers. Boating, swimming, camping, and paddling are very popular on this reservoir.
Does Cherokee Lake get drained?
To make necessary repairs, Cherokee Lake will be drained beginning in July. “Unfortunately, there is no other way to address the repairs needed at the dam and also provide some additional improvements to the fish habitats of the lake without draining it,” Pionessa said.
What kind of fish are in Cherokee Lake?
Fishing At Cherokee Lake Striped bass, walleye, sauger, saugeye, bass, crappie, catfish and sunfish all thrive in these forage infested waters. Whether fishing from shore or from a boat, fish seem to be everywhere along these 390 miles of shoreline, especially in spring.
What is the cleanest lake in Tennessee?
The Clearest Lake In Tennessee, Norris Lake, Is Almost Too Beautiful To Be Real. When the weather gets warm there’s nothing better than a day out by the water. Whether you’re visiting by boat or picnicking on land, there’s just something about a lake day that refreshes the spirit and settles the soul.
What is the best boating lake in Tennessee?
Five Great Tennessee Lakes for Pontoon Boating
- Watts Bar Lake. Known as the “King of the Southern Great Lakes,” Watts Bar Lake has over 722 miles of shoreline and 39,000 acres of water surface.
- Chickamunga Lake.
- Cherokee Lake.
- Norris Lake.
- Old Hickory Lake.
Does Cherokee lake have a beach?
You don’t need a boat or a lake house to enjoy a dip at one of these public swim beaches, created expressly for the enjoyment of the people of the Valley. There, you can unfold a blanket on the shore, set out a picnic and wade right in—from May to October, the water is fine.
What is the best lake in Tennessee to live on?
Best Lakes and Marinas in Tennessee
- Percy Priest Lake. If you are a Nashville resident and are looking for something in the neighborhood, Percy Priest is conveniently located just 15 minutes from Downtown.
- Dale Hollow Lake.
- Lake Barkley.
- Chickamauga Lake.
- Norris Lake.
What is the deepest part of Cherokee Lake?
Alligators are naturally expanding their range into Tennessee from the southern border states. TWRA has not stocked any alligators in Tennessee. Alligators expanding into Tennessee is just another species that we must learn to coexist with like many of the other southern states.
What is the water temperature at Cherokee Lake?
The water temperature is 65 degrees, and the lake is falling.
How many miles is Cherokee Lake?
Surrounded by gentle, rolling farmland, Cherokee Lake covers 30,300 acres at full pool, is 59 miles long, and has 463 miles of winding shoreline.
Why do they drain lakes in Tennessee?
Here’s how it works: TVA prepares for the winter flood season by lowering the level of flood-storage reservoirs to make room to hold the runoff produced by winter storms. When a storm hits, TVA holds the water back by reducing releases from the dams in areas where it is raining.